Pelion Consulting Pty. Ltd.
03 6278 9292
Development of an e-learning ‘start up’ kit for clients and small RTOs/organisations. Includes tips, tools and mini case studies in an easy to read style.
Reports, Papers and Publications
~ Final Presentation, E-learning on a shoestring! December 2004.
~ Overseas Report, Online Educa Berlin (PDF, 69KB), December 2004.
~ Postcard: Real Solutions 2 December 2004.
~ The 'E-learning on a Shoestring' report is an E-Toolkit containing a wealth of ideas,
annotated links and case studies on how to get started online and how to continue to develop creative online solutions! It features exciting pedagogy and an analysis of a range of low cost open source tools ideal for small RTOs. October 2004.
~ Pelion Consulting Pty Ltd website www.pelion.com.au . You can access lots of free resources from the left hand menu, post a message to the forum or just have a chat with a friend.
~ Pelion Consulting develops people’s skills in using intuitive tools for e-facilitation, e-learning design and open knowledge sharing. Pelion assists organisations, globally, to make the move online and into mobile technologies, working with online facilitators/e-moderators and managers through e-learning professional development programs.
~ Link to Networking 2004 presentation - Open Source Tools for Small RTOs, Elluminate archive of my keynote to e-dayz in Adelaide in November 2004.
The Flexible Learning Leader funding has enabled me to pursue a range of professional development activities and focus time on improving my knowledge and thus the services I offer to clients. This in turn has greatly improved the speed and ease with which clients and colleagues have accessed and developed their e-activities (website development, community building, using OS LMS etc.)
Networking both virtually and physically has led to fabulous opportunities to collaborate and exchange ideas with like-minded colleagues throughout the world. The ‘spin offs’ are still in the making and will last for some time to come.
Professional Development Goal
My specific perspective was to end up with
~ a 'start-up' kit for micro to small sized business(es) to help them get started in flexible learning in affordable and effective ways.
My learning to meet this end focused on researching free, open source and other low cost technologies and strategies and their uses in e-learning. The detailed goals included:
- Identify open source and other low cost technologies and strategies that best support flexible learning.
- Identify some models and examples of use – how best these technologies and strategies can be used by RTOs.
- Develop samples, guides and suggestions for RTOs new to online learning and flexible learning.
- Investigate and establish communication strategies for transferring my learning.
- Improve leadership skills through learning for me i.e. bits and pieces I’ve always wanted to do and never had time to do – till now.
Strategies to achieve my PD goals include:
- Search the net for open source, private training provider networks around the world, those using OS etc and trial appropriate choices
- Visit/talk with/email/phone people at key sites (creators, users and clients of open source etc)
- Use conferences/ current and new networks to learn what people are doing, hold focus groups and information exchange sessions
- Use existing resources and info sites including Edna, OS, AFLC, Mardi Dwyer’s sites etc.
- Work closely with Stephen, Jo Murray, Jenny and Gayna to stay sane, focused and effective
- Do recognition/enrol in Dip of E-learning with Brad Beach
- Learn more about Blogs, RSS feeds and news aggregators, mindmappers, Macromedia products
- Buy some new toys and play with them.
'Start-up' kit for micro to small sized business(es) to help them get started in flexible learning in affordable and effective ways.
Summary of Learning
I have completed what I set out to do and yet my learning and sharing of my findings is just beginning. I am greatly encouraged by the number of people willing and keen to experiment with e-learning and to use a range of tools to meet their client/customer needs.
I have learnt that I am in a great position to be able to support and enhance their needs. Come and talk with me and Josephine Murray (my business partner) if you’d like to learn more with us.