Manager Information and Flexible Learning
Southbank Institute of Technology
07 3244 6361
My focus is on people - not technology! The implementation of a variety of support strategies for teachers and learners is my first priority. Flexible learning is about removing barriers to learning and effectively utilising all available resources. This ensures provision of the best possible learning experience for our clients regardless of the arena in which that learning takes place.
Reports, Papers and Publications
~ Quick Guide:
Online Mentoring: Helping the New Online Teacher
This document highlights the value of online mentoring for teaching professionals new to the online environment. Also outlined is the recruiting and matching process, how to build successful relationships, identification of problems that can arise, organisational issues and mentoring models, and asp....
- Ambrose, L. (2007). The Diffusion of e-Learning: Moving from Vision to Reality. In Berthelsen, D. Transforming Queensland VET: Challenges & Opportunities (pp. 1-13). Brisbane: Queensland University of Technology.
The funding provided through my Flexible Learning Leader scholarship enabled me to develop leadership skills necessary to guide our large metropolitan TAFE institute from the exploratory phase of flexible learning to a mission critical phase. The institute has experienced an exponential growth in online learning with all teachers working towards an online presence.
My initial focus was on writing the institute’s first Online Learning Strategic Plan and managing and reporting against the transitional strategies incorporated in that plan.
I now manage three inter-related teams: online learning, libraries and eLearn centres. The teams work together to provide their traditional services in addition to a plethora of functions related to professional development of staff, support for flexible learners and development of online courses.
A key focus has been on developing sound business planning processes to support the development of more flexible courses.
Professional Development Goal
- Develop leadership skills
- Identify technologies that enhance learning
- Enhance integration of eLearn Centres and library
- Create an environment to support teachers
- Develop understanding of Toolbox development and use
- Develop online facilitation skills
- Develop greater e-capability at Southbank Institute of TAFE
- Visited a range of educational institutions in Australia
- Studied online
- Participated in a series of national conferences
- Obtained time release for research
- Undertook a literature review
- Participated in a Toolbox project
- Hosted a series of site visits in Brisbane for other Flexible Learning Leaders
Summary of Learning
My FLL scholarship provided me with an incomparable professional development opportunity. I undertook a variety of planned learning activities and by incorporating time for reflective learning was able to make a contribution to progressing online learning at our institute.
My ongoing incidental and informal learning has improved my competence, self-confidence, self-awareness and contributed to a growth in my interpersonal skills. I feel privileged to be part of a local, national and international network of learning professionals who contribute, often unintentionally and unplanned, to my ongoing development.
We all need generous people to help us improve and learn. Thank you to my fellow FLLs.
Focus on people - the rest will fall into place.